Discover our new training program for professionals covering film and media distribution strategy and practice for the 21st-century European market.
NEXT WAVE is a 9-month training program for professionals covering film and media distribution strategy and practice for 21st-century European markets, designed and run by the DFFB/Deutsche Film- und Fernsehakademie Berlin and supported by the Creative Europe – MEDIA Programme of the European Union and supported by our partner film schools The Danish Film School, La Femis and FAMU.
NEXT WAVE responds to the rapid transformation of the audiovisual industry in the digital age, offering intensive and up-to-date training, and targeting committed professionals with backgrounds in film sales, distribution, exhibition, marketing, curatorship, audience development and production.
European media need world-class understanding of good practice and new business models in distribution, marketing, exhibition, programming and audience development, to help build the future of European cinema, TV and independent media. NEXT WAVE brings together these zones, to train professionals in sales and release strategy, audience recruitment and curatorship across all media, from theatrical and streaming to free TV, and beyond the familiar boundaries of 20th-century film distribution.
Taught by industry professionals, NEXT WAVE encompasses hands-on assignments, responding to key challenges for the audiovisual industry – new and updated exploitation patterns, novel forms of marketing and programming, new interactions between platforms from cinemas to VOD and television. The work is supported by study visits to the EFM – Berlin, IFFR – Rotterdam, CPH:DOX – Copenhagen and MIF – Cannes.
NEXT WAVE has a three-pronged strategy:
- fostering cross-fertilisation between various strands of film and program distribution and work invented beyond the audiovisual sector, such as start-up/tech firms
- finding powerful ways to combine “analogue” and digital strategies in hybrid distribution and marketing patterns
- connecting young professionals involved in all facets of delivery across Europe.
The program is designed to build in practical expertise, strategic skills and networks, helping to reinvigorate sales, festivals, marketing, programming and audience development within the European landscape and beyond.
- NEXT WAVE launches at Berlinale 2019
- application process starts in Spring 2019
- NEXT WAVE aimes at professionals with background in film sales, distribution, exhibition, marketing, curatorship, audience development, production
- Trips to EFM, IFFR, CPH:DOX and MIF Cannes
- NEXT WAVE runs from October 2019 to June 2020 in Berlin
- NEXT WAVE is held in English
- participation fees: 4000,00 € / scholarships available for participants from low capacity countries