Applications are accepted each autumn for the following academic year. The entrance examinations take place in the spring; the academic year begins at the beginning of October.
Call for Applications
The application period for the academic year 2022/23 is now open. Here you can find the application tasks for the individual trades, which also contain all information about the application process.
To enrol in studies at the DFFB, candidates must go through a comprehensive application process: Students first submit an application and portfolio. The DFFB then selects a small proportion of applicants and invites them to attend a one-week entrance examination at the academy. This examination is overseen by an examination board.
How to Apply
Applications are accepted every year via a process that begins in autumn for the following year.
- The academy’s online application process is divided by study specialisation.
- To apply to a specialisation, students must submit photos, film exercises, texts, images and other materials.
- After this submission, the examination board selects a small number of candidates to take the entrance examination at the DFFB during spring.
- The entrance examination includes oral, written and practical elements. These elements are intended to identify an applicant’s potential as well as their practical, collaborative, and creative abilities.
- At the end of the examination process, a new class is selected to join the DFFB for the following academic year.
- Every year, 6–10 students from Germany and abroad are admitted into each specialisation.
- Admission to the programme depends solely on successfully passing the entrance examinations.
Dates and Deadlines
- October: The DFBB publishes the application information for the preselection process on its website.
- November–January: Open period for the online application process; deadline for all applications is in January.
- April–May: Applicants are informed of the decisions of the examination board and a small number of applicants are invited to attend the entrance examinations.
- May–June: The entrance examinations take place at the DFFB in Berlin.
The candidates are informed in advance of the precise dates and structure of the examination week.
Applicants should be at least 21 years old at the beginning of their studies.
Practical experience or academic degrees in related fields are not required, but increase the chance of admission.
A candidate cannot apply more than twice for admission to the DFFB.
- Please note that good written and spoken German is required to study at the DFFB.
- International applicants must prove their German language skills in the form of the Goethe Certificate B2 (or equivalent), which must presented at the beginning of the examination week at the DFFB in Berlin.
- The written application may be submitted in English and the oral/practical examination may be conducted in English, if a candidate’s German language skills are insufficient at this time.
- Good written and spoken English-language skills are required for all candidates. English is the second language of the DFFB, and a number of seminars are taught in English by international teachers.
- Students must pay annual registration and equipment insurance fees to the DFFB; the cost is €225 per academic year.
- During the first four academic years, students must also purchase a BVG semester ticket (to take public transportation), which currently costs approximately €380.